Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Classes

I'm working hard to get into a comfortable routine here. It's hard to establish my role in the class because I'm often sharing the role with two other teachers which gets confusing at times. Also, I'm trying to keep into a routine of putting myself in places where I'm going to learn the most Spanish. This week is the beginning of routine because October is when the kids have gotten used to the class schedule then they can add additional classes for after school. Sally, for example, will have painting, dance, music theory and violin which means I won't see her until a bit later in the evening.  I had a good time practicing my Spanish with Anja yesterday over lunch, and I'm working to be more comfortable speaking to adults like the teachers at the school. The way of life is so relaxed here I just love it.  I can't really express how much I appreciate things like: having a coffee break from 10:45 to 11:15 every morning, all the restaurants have outside seating and you can sit and talk for as long as you want, eating tapas (a snack/ hors d'oeuvres they bring you for free when you stop for a drink), and working in a place as beautiful as the monastery.  Emily and I have been working a lot more to prepare our lessons for the classes. It's sometimes difficult because we work with 5 different teachers in every age group from 3-11 so trying to stay on the same page can be challenging. Today, Emily and I went up to the top of the monastery which is one of the privileges of working there and having all the keys :). It was really beautiful, and being able to stand up someplace so high to see your surroundings gives you a chance to take a step back and really notice how beautiful everything is.



As of right now, I'm making rough plans for a trip over Christmas break which will include: Rome, Vienna, Berlin, and Barcelona. (Hopefully). It's all so exciting.  Miss everyone back home, but also having a great time here! Hasta luego!

5 comments:

  1. Pictures...very nice!!! The coffee break sounds like something I would love! Keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- I'm loving all the pictures you're posting!
    2- It's great to hear that Anja is sticking with her position for now, and that you have someone to practice Spanish with!
    3- Continue to be an excellent teacher and role model in the lives of the kids there! (especially Sally) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures are great Indigo! The monastery is incredible. Is that Grampa's necklace I see you wearing, beautiful. We miss you. I'm taking a half hour coffee break tomorrow. I'll google tapas to go with and think you you at a cafe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tots take that drip to other places in Europe. It will be worth it. Berlin is awesome. You have to check out the Brandenburg gate and where the Berlin Wall was. Also they have awesome "street" art. It's basically graffiti. There is more graffiti in Berlin than there is in the entire state of Michigan (not really but you know what I mean) and most of it is really good! Plus you could see the Zoo and various other cool landmarks of Germany! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you have followed a desire to experience in your own way, you always have our support! I look forward to reading up on your blog when we're back from Thailand!! Cuidate mucho..un gran caliente abrazo desde Thailandia! -Meg

    ReplyDelete