Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fun Weekend Behind, Long Days Ahead

Well, I had a wonderful weekend. Most of the time was spent just relaxing with friends. On Saturday night, Anja and I spent hours just sitting in the city center in San Lorenzo just watching people and practicing my Spanish.  It really exciting to watch people who are so different from me and what I know. The mannerisms, the conversations it's so different. There's this strange feeling that everyone is so different, but somehow we're all people and still somewhat the same. On Sunday, Anja and I spent the day in Madrid shopping.  We were a bit worried when we got there because it was 11:00am and all the shopping stores were still closed.  After walking around and going in a random store here or there that was open, around noon all the stores opened. Quite strange for me, but apparently it's normal for Spain. I got tons of great deals, and I had a lot of fun showing Anja how to bargain shop.  Madrid is really a beautiful city, and it's so huge. I love being there and watching the people and being in the hustle-and-bustle of the city.  I'm really looking forward to being able to go to museums and learn a bit about the history of the city.

This week, I have to take a class in Madrid.  It's because of my job at the school. The program is set up on student visas so with a 20% unemployment rate in Spain right now we need to be fulfilling our claims of being students along with working so we're required to take this class. I lucked out by being allowed to take this one week long intensive course then I will go one Monday each month to Madrid for an evening class. The other option was to have to go every Monday which is extremely inconvenient for me and the family I work for.  So far, I've really disliked this class. These adult teachers are probably the most rude, argumentative people I've ever had opportunity to be in class with. They didn't listen or participate and were constantly being rude and telling the whole world their thoughts on something that everyone was otherwise perfect not knowing.  Anyways, after being in the class from 3-9 it's a bit exhausting.  I don't really have much time in the day right now. I wake up and immediately go to school, then to Madrid, then to bed.  I think, after this week, things will fall more into a steady pace and they won't be quite so new and overwhelming.

One quite unfortunate thing that is happening though is that Anja is with a family whose mother is extremely difficult to work with. She gets yelled at a lot for really stupid stuff, and even if it was legitimate, we're adults and expect to be scolded accordingly. Maybe if something is wrong or done a way this lady doesn't like she could just tell Anja to do it different next time, but unfortunately she's been horrible. Anja is looking now to move out by the end of the week because of a final "last straw" argument because Michelle and I went over to their house on Friday night and Anja didn't tell the mom. But, the mom had just said the night before that she was cool with people coming over and only if they were going to spend the night did she need to let the family know.  Anyways, it's really stressful for her, and we're all hoping she can find another job in this city or at least in Madrid so she's close.  Pray it all works out for her. Thanks :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you and your friend. I hope you find strength this week. Hebrews 10:35-36. Stay encouraged and trust in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear of all your adventures in Spain so far Indigo! Sally is quite adorable...and I bet more so with a cute accent ;) I loved reading of your mountain quest, and your learning to kiss everyone on the cheek haha. I'll be sure to pray for Anja!
    ~Derek~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indigo, the city looks beautiful, great architecture! (nice handbag too!) Glad your enduring your class ok, it'll be over before you know it so keep your chin up...rejoice, your steps are ordered of God!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. forgot to remind you to keep that bag in the front. Grandma and Gramp were over and reminded us of all the gypsies in Barcalona when they were there! ;)

    ReplyDelete