Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rápido, Rápido

Hola, I made it alive! :)

I was slightly concerned about it turning out toward the alive part yesterday when I was at the airport and Marina (the mom of my family) was a bit late.  Of course, in any other situation, I would just assume someone was late, but being in a foreign country without a phone and only a little idea of what the person picking me up looked like, I was worried. Once I got in the car though, I was great!

We picked up William from his eye appt in Madrid, so I got to see a little of the city (only a little). Side note: Dad, you would finally have road rage with these drivers; I thought we were going to get crashed into the whole time. When we were getting back in the car to leave, someone asked me (in Spanish, of course) if we were leaving so he could park in the spot. I stared blankly for a good 3 seconds before I realized that someone was talking to me in Spanish. I finally said, "Si," and laughed at myself for looking like an idiot and being so shocked that someone in Spain spoke Spanish. haha. Escorial is beautiful; the streets are all uphill or downhill because its at the base of a mountain which makes me extremely nervous for driving a stick-shift.

On the drive home, we got a call from Shannon (the girl who used to be the Au Pair for this family, but now is a  full time English teacher at the school.) She said I got the job. Well, I thought I had the two hour a week job teaching English conversation, but it turns out I get 20 hours a week now and I think health care too.  This is pretty cool even though I don't know anything about it yet.  I do know it'll be cool to actually make money for traveling and stuff, and I know I'll be teaching 3-11 years olds. I thought it was really funny because I don't even know if I'll be good at teaching yet, and everyone else really shouldn't know if I'm any good. But, Marina said her and Shannon were really pushing for me to get the job. It's so nice that they're so confident in me. I definitely won't let them down. Every kid I've seen so far is probably the cutest kid I've ever seen. Not only are the all adorable just for being cute little kids, but they also start speaking Spanish and they're even cuter then they find out I speak English so they start speaking to me in the cutest accents ever! This going to be an amazing experience.

I was a little nervous about meeting Sally when we went to go pick her up from school.  I didn't want it to be awkward for her, and kids are usually pretty shy right off the bat.  But when she came out with her class, she came right over to her mom and me. Her mom told her who I was and she just gave me a big hug then grabbed my hand to walk outside.  She so adorable, and both kids are really well behaved.

I met a few other Au Pairs yesterday, and they were really excited about getting others together so it sounds like I'm gonna have people my own age to hang out with.  I met a lot of the other moms, and I really need to send an email to the person wrote the website I read that said in Spain they don't kiss on the cheeks when meeting. Everyone I've met has kissed me on both cheeks; it's so cute I just have to get used to it. I finally got used to the women doing it, but I thought when I met the director of the school that they probably don't do it more professional situations. I was completely wrong, so I just decided I better kiss everyone.  However, when I met the director's brother, another employee at the school, I was all prepared to kiss on both cheeks, then he shook my hand. I don't get it haha.  We watched Sally and all her friends play outside in the courtyard of the school after they were dismissed. The school is actually in Escorial, the monastery/palace, and it's so beautiful and ancient.  I played Piedras, Papel, o Tijeras (Rock, paper, scissors) with the kids for a good 20 minutes; they all wanted to join in when Sally and I started playing.

Well to finish the day off, I went to bed at about 8 o'clock because I didn't sleep the entire night before and I'm definitely jet lagged. I have a meeting at 9 this morning to get all the information I need about working at the school. I'm sure I won't write as much in the future, but when we set the clock for me to wake up this morning it was an hour off so I thought I was waking up at 7 and really it was 6 haha. Whatever, I have no concept of what time it is at this point anyway.  Adios :)

P.S. Mom, the coffee is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment